Morning Report APAC: Asia buoyed by US debt deal
- Asian stocks rise as investors support deal that keeps US government funded
- Most Asian markets up, including Hang Seng, KOSPI and Topix
- JPY was steady at 109.13 to the USD after falling 0.4% on Wednesday
By Saxo APAC Sales Trading
Economic data of the day (Singapore Time)
0015 – US: Fed’s Mester speaks on economic outlook and monetary policy
0700 – US: Fed’s Dudley speaks on US economic outlook and Monetary policy
0815 – US: Fed’s George speaks on economic outlook
US: The Congress has finally agreed for a Debt Ceiling extension for three months as part of aid for Hurricane Harvey. Some Republicans wanted a longer deal.
North Korea: A US-drafted resolution seeks to have the UN ban all oil and natural gas exports to North Korea and order a freeze on all foreign financial assets of the country and its leader Kim Jong Un. The draft circulated to council members Wednesday was obtained by The Associated Press. It would also prohibit North Korea from exporting textiles and ban all countries from hiring and paying workers from the northeast Asian nation - two key sources of foreign currency. It would also prohibit North Korea from being part of any joint ventures or cooperative agreements. The resolution is likely to face opposition from China and Russia
Federal Reserve: Stanley Fischer resigned as Fed vice chairman, effective mid-October, enabling Trump to remake the central bank leadership before Janet Yellen's term ends in February. Gary Cohn probably won't replace her, the WSJ reported. The former Goldman exec has fallen out of favor since criticizing the president's response to white supremacists. Fischer was set to remain until June 2018, and his exit leaves four of the seven seats on the Fed board vacant.
Canada: The Bank of Canada surprisingly raised the Overnight Lending Rate by 25 basis points to 1.00%. At the same time, BOC cited risks including continued excess capacity, subdued wage and price pressures, geopolitics and the higher CAD along with concern about the impact of rising interest rates on indebted households.
“Future monetary policy decisions are not predetermined and will be guided by incoming economic data and financial market developments as they inform the outlook for inflation,” the Bank of Canada said Wednesday in a statement from Ottawa.
Brazil: BCB cut the Selic Rate by 100 bps to 8.25% as expected.
USDCAD dropped 1.20% following the surprising rate decision. The market seems very short USDCAD even though the pair moved 12% since May. With the rate hike, there is not many reasons to go against the trend, even at this level. There is support before 1.2000.
- Air China (601111 CH): A Shares Raised to Neutral at JPMorgan, PT 9.40 Yuan
- China Resources Beer (291 HK): New Buy at China Securities, PT HK$24.30
- China Shenhua (1088 HK): H Shares Cut to Sell at Haitong Intl, PT HK$15.60
- China Southern Air (1055 HK): H Shares Cut to Underweight at JPMorgan
- CRRC Times (3898 HK): H Shares Raised to Market Perform at Bernstein
- Shenzhou Int’l (2313 HK): Cut to Hold at HSBC, PT HK$64.30
- Tsingtao Brewery (600600 CH): H Shares New Hold at China Securities
- Wolong Electric (600580 CH): New Outperform at SWS
- Zoomlion (000157 CH): A Shares Cut to Underperform at Bernstein, PT 3.60 Yuan
- China Comm Cons (1800 HK): Signs Pact for 70.8B Yuan PPP Projects
- CK Hutchison (1 HK): Priced: Hutchison Port $500m 5Y Bond at +117.5bp
- Geely Auto (175 HK): Aug. Sales Volume 96,505 Units, up 6% on Month
- HNA Unit HKICIM (687 HK): Says to Scale Back Investment in a Fund to $77M
- HKEX (388 HK): HKEX Jan.-Aug. Sec. Market Avg Daily Turnover Rises 20% on Year
- Huawei To Tie up With AI Firm Afiniti for European Market Push
- Kangde Xin (002450 CH): Kangde Xin, Samsung Electronics to Cooperate on Glasses-Free 3D
- Ping An Insurance (2318 HK): Ping An Insurance Unveils First Two Insurance Fintech Products
- Shanghai Fosun Pharma (600196 CH): Palatin in Pact with Fosun Pharma for Bremelanotide
- Shanghai Oriental Pearl Media (600637 CH): Shanghai Oriental Pearl, Lenovo to Cooperate on Big Data, AI
- Shenzhen Kaizhong (002823 CH): Makes Binding Offer to Buy Pacific Insight
- Shenzhou Int’l (2313 HK): Shenzhou International Holders Seek Up to $425m in Block: Terms
- Yuzhou Properties (1628 HK): to Raise HK$1.59B From Top-Up Placement
- Asahi Kasei (3407): Cut to neutral from buy at UBS
- Eisai (4523): Raised to neutral from underperform at Credit Suisse
- Nissan (7201): French govt. stake in Renault no concern if autonomy respecteed, CEO says
- NTN (6472): Cut to underweight from neutral at JPMorgan
- Sanyo Steel (5481): Cut to neutral from buy at Haitong
- Shinko Electric (6967): Cut to underweight from equalweight at Morgan Stanley MUFG
- Ube Industries (4208): Cut to neutral from neutral plus at Iwai Cosmo
- McDonald’s Holdings Co Japan (2702): Aug. same-store sales +15% y/y
- Mitsubishi Tanabe (4508): Signs pact with Option Care Enterprises to become national provider of home infusion services for Radicava for ALS
- Mitsui High-Tec (6966): 1H operating profit 1.26b yen vs co. target 1b yen; to invest 7b yen to build motor core plant
- Skylark Co (3197): Aug. same-store sales +0.6% y/y
- Tokio Marine Holdings (8766): To set up new insurance company in Luxembourg
- BHP AU: BHP Cut to Underperform at Exane, PT GBP13.10
- CBA AU: Commonwealth Bank Raised to Buy at Morningstar
- ORE AU: Orocobre Raised to Buy at Cormark, PT C$5.60
- RCR AU: RCR Tomlinson New Overweight at JPMorgan, PT A$5.08
- TLS AU: Telstra Raised to Outperform at Credit Suisse, PT A$4
- VRT AU: Virtus Health Raised to Buy at Morningstar
- BLY AU: Boart Longyear Affirmed by Moody’s, Outlook Negative
- RIO AU: Rio CEO Remains Patient on Future of World’s No. 2 Copper Mine
- SIG AU: Sigma Pharma 1H Earnings
- TGH NZ: Tegel Forecasts Underlying Ebitda Will Rise in FY2018
– Edited by Adam Courtenay
This report was compiled by the Saxo APAC Sales trading team in Singapore – the home of social trading. Follow the team on @SaxoStrats or post your comment below to engage with Saxo Bank's social trading platform. Follow us on @SaxoStrats on Twitter
All material contained herein is provided for your general information. The information and commentaries are not intended to be and do not constitute financial advice, investment advice, trading advice or any other advice or recommendation of any sort offered or endorsed by Saxo Capital Markets Pte. Ltd. (“SCM SG”). Any expression of opinion (which may be subject to change without notice) is personal to the presenter and/or author; they do not reflect the view or opinion of SCM SG or its affiliates, neither do they constitute an endorsement of SCM SG’s view or analysis of the same.
None of the information contained here constitutes an offer to purchase or sell a financial instrument, or to make any investments. SCM SG does not take into account your personal investment objectives or financial situation and makes no representation and assumes no liability as to the accuracy or completeness of the information nor for any loss arising from any investment based on any commentaries or information provided here.
For further information, please click here.
Saxo Capital Markets Pte Ltd ("Saxo Capital Markets") is a licensed subsidiary of Saxo Bank A/S, an online trading and investment specialist. Saxo Capital Markets serves as the APAC headquarters and holds a capital markets services licence under the Monetary Authority of Singapore; and a commodity broker licence issued by the International Enterprise Singapore. Clients can trade Forex, CFDs, Stocks, Futures, Options and other derivatives via SaxoWebTrader and SaxoTrader, the leading multi-asset online trading platforms.
Trading risks are magnified by leverage - losses can exceed your deposits. Trade only after you have acknowledged and accepted the risks. You should carefully consider whether trading in leveraged products is appropriate for you based on your financial circumstances. Please consider our Risk Warning and General Business Terms before trading with us. Please see full General Disclaimer.
Thousands of serious traders receive free news and analysis from Saxo Capital Markets each day. Saxo Capital Markets never sends these emails unsolicited; they are sent following acceptance of your membership and subscription request by Saxo Capital Markets at saxomarkets.com.sg. If you do not wish to receive any emails from Saxo Capital Markets in the future, please reply to this email with the word "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject header.
Samsung Hub | 3 Church Street | # 30-01 | Singapore 049483
Company No. 200601141M