Article / 18 June 2014 at 8:17 GMT

In the know: Launching US equities covered calls

Head of Equity Strategy / Saxo Bank
Denmark
By Peter Garnry

Yesterday, we presented a brief introduction to covered calls. It is basically a strategy involving owning the underlying stock and selling a call option with a strike above the current price of the underlying stock. The strategy's primary goal is to enhance returns.

The covered call strategy is very popular among investors as it generates extra return by selling volatility on positions that investors do not intend to sell anyway. Long-term selling volatility generates stable returns but is interrupted at times when realised volatility falls significantly outside the implied volatility observed in the options.

Launching US covered calls

To provide clients with the best opportunities to identify stocks that are good at writing call options on, we will publish a weekly US equities covered call table on the most liquid US single stock options. The table will be published on Wednesdays.

The table will include a wealth of information on 40 stocks including our own model's preferred strike level. Based on all the information, we calculate the static return (the annualised return if the underlying stays unchanged) and the called return (the annualised return if the call option is exercised).

US equities covered calls





















AT&T looks interesting

Let us go through an example based on the table. AT&T closed at 35.02 yesterday. If investors owning AT&T stocks are willing to sell call options with an expiration at July 10 and a strike price at 36, then 9 cents can be collected. Within expiration, a dividend per share of 46 cents will be collected (see table). Under the assumption that the underlying price does not move, the static annualised return is 13.3 percent.

What is the probability that the underlying price will end above the strike price at 36 within the next 31 days? This is where our model assumptions come into the picture. We assume for simplicity that weekly returns are normally distributed and then use the realised volatility (based on 52 weekly observations) to calculate the threshold returns for 66 percent cumulative probability. In other words, the model's preferred strike price is set such that there is a 34 percent probability that the underlying price will end above the strike price, under the assumption of normal distribution which holds under normal market conditions. However, during intense market stress such as during the financial crisis in 2008 these assumptions did not hold.

Read the full publication including explanations for colour coding and ratios in the attached PDF.

-- Edited by Martin O'Rourke

Peter Garnry is the head of equity strategy at Saxo Bank. Please check out his articles and trades here.
Download document

US equities covered calls

Disclaimer

The Saxo Bank Group entities each provide execution-only service and access to Tradingfloor.com permitting a person to view and/or use content available on or via the website is not intended to and does not change or expand on this. Such access and use are at all times subject to (i) The Terms of Use; (ii) Full Disclaimer; (iii) The Risk Warning; (iv) the Rules of Engagement and (v) Notices applying to Tradingfloor.com and/or its content in addition (where relevant) to the terms governing the use of hyperlinks on the website of a member of the Saxo Bank Group by which access to Tradingfloor.com is gained. Such content is therefore provided as no more than information. In particular no advice is intended to be provided or to be relied on as provided nor endorsed by any Saxo Bank Group entity; nor is it to be construed as solicitation or an incentive provided to subscribe for or sell or purchase any financial instrument. All trading or investments you make must be pursuant to your own unprompted and informed self-directed decision. As such no Saxo Bank Group entity will have or be liable for any losses that you may sustain as a result of any investment decision made in reliance on information which is available on Tradingfloor.com or as a result of the use of the Tradingfloor.com. Orders given and trades effected are deemed intended to be given or effected for the account of the customer with the Saxo Bank Group entity operating in the jurisdiction in which the customer resides and/or with whom the customer opened and maintains his/her trading account. When trading through Tradingfloor.com your contracting Saxo Bank Group entity will be the counterparty to any trading entered into by you. Tradingfloor.com does not contain (and should not be construed as containing) financial, investment, tax or trading advice or advice of any sort offered, recommended or endorsed by Saxo Bank Group and should not be construed as a record of our trading prices, or as an offer, incentive or solicitation for the subscription, sale or purchase in any financial instrument. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, would be considered as a marketing communication under relevant laws. Please read our disclaimers:
- Notification on Non-Independent Investment Research
- Full disclaimer

Show latest activity
Check your inbox for a mail from us to fully activate your profile. No mail? Have us re-send your verification mail